Sunday, October 23, 2011

I had a "huh?" moment



It's true that what we see is profoundly influenced by what we know. In effect, our preconceptions act as a filter to the act of seeing. As evidence, I offer this:



I saw the photo and thought, "Cool bike! I wonder who carries Scott in Tulsa?" Then I read the tab up above. It says, "A Prosthetic Limb That Lets Amputees..."

Huh? It was only then that I realized the rider has a prosthesis.

This received the James Dyson Award, a competition for student design that calls for designs that solve a problem. The prosthesis is capable of the complex motion involved in cycling, and besides, the carbon fiber clearly complements the frame. I have to wonder if they offer titanium or steel models too.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve A said...

Though the link is a month old, I hadn't seen it before, unlike the GM nonsense. Thanks!

6:46 PM  
Blogger The Donut Guy said...

Reminds me of the the time I rode mountain bikes with a guy with a below the knee amputation......he totally kicked my ass.

His appliance relied on a combination of straps and suction and he had a mountain bike cleat attached to the end of it.

Pretty cool stuff ;-)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I saw this and thought, "I'm letting knee pain keep me off the bike?"

8:47 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Oh, whoa. I didn't see the prosthesis either.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home