Sunday, April 10, 2011

Close to home

First, an apology because I missed 5 comments on some recent posts. Dunno why, but mea culpa.



On Saturday, I visited the Owasso Historical Society museum down on Main Street. I've lived here more than twenty years, and I'd only been in there once for a brief visit. The town had less than a thousand residents for most of the last century, but in the 1980s the population boomed. It's now about thirty thousand.

The museum is in a former grocery store. Actually, the grocery was on one side and the other was a rental property. There's a photo showing it as a small lunch counter.



This is Orval. His area of expertise is the pre-statehood period. He showed me old maps and photographs, as well as the bond document for the school constructed in 1909. The bond was for $15,000.

Owasso was the end of the line for a railroad line from Caney, Kansas, for about 5 years. Back then, the town had over 30 dairies. They were probably shipping a lot of milk. Not one remains today.



But the mention of dairies made me think of this abandoned one just east of town. I'll have to go back down to the museum and find out who owned it.



Earlier this week, the fire department conducted training exercises on some wrecked cars. Mary and I drove by as they were cutting a door off and I really wanted to get some photos. It was not to be. There's an aura of sadness about them because the damage included some people, not just sheet metal. George likes some rusty old cars. These are neither old nor rusty, but they certainly have some unfortunate history behind them.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Donut Guy said...

That's pretty darn cool Ed.....one of these days-I gotta update my blog and doing a history lesson on good ole York Pa would be a good place to start.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home