Sunday, March 13, 2011

Crown Hill Cemetery






Crown Hill is an old cemetery that is still in use today. I've passed by it many times, and I've often wondered why it has these brick towers. Could they have served some purpose at one time, or were they meant to be merely decorative?




The oldest graves I saw dated from the 1920s. Many of the markers have the names and dates worn away by weather. Some were obviously home-made, cast out of concrete with the names scribed in with a sharp tool.


There are numerous military headstones. Most of these old soldiers fought in the Second World War, but I saw a few who served in World War One and Korea.




The photos seen here are reduced from the originals. And of course, those originals are on my Picasa web album. The full set includes 19 images.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Donut Guy said...

Seriously cool pics

3:37 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Thanks, George. I walked through only one small part of the cemetery. It was overcast and the temperature was probably in the 40s, but the wind was sucking the heat from me, so I didn't stay out very long. I'll probably make another trip.

Also, these photos were taken with the Kodak Z1285. I ran some film through the Nikon, too, but I haven't taken it in for developing yet. I was surprised to see that I took nearly all the shots with the lens at its widest zoom, about 35mm. Maybe it's a habit that carries over from all those old rangefinder cameras.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home