Sunday, January 02, 2011

Yashica Lynx 14e



Here are some photos from the first roll of Fuji 400 I put through the Yashica Lynx 14e. They didn't come from the camera shown above, but from another Lynx 14, the IC model. "IC" stands for integrated circuit - something I haven't found in this camera yet though I've had the top and bottom covers off. Given its age, the IC would most likely be a TTL device (that's transistor-transistor-logic) and it would very likely be a high current device. That could mean rapid battery drain. But it's only used for the internal meter, and since I use an old Minolta Auto Meter IIIf, I don't really need an on-board meter too.

The lens doesn't like back light, as you can see from this photo of Number One Son at work. That seems to be fairly typical of these old lenses. I haven't put a lens shade on this one yet, but it would probably benefit greatly if I did.

Here's a situation where this lens may excel, window light in a cafe. I'm not sure if it's as sharp as the Yashica Electro GT, and I'd have to do some side-by-side comparisons. That's my friend Wade at breakfast inside Gatsby's Grill in Tulsa, and it's the same spot where I took a photo of my daughter.

This is a penguin. Really. These statues are all over the Tulsa metro area, and this particular one is just outside the Cox Cable office on 41st Street. It looks good for an open shade shot.

Next, I have a roll of black and white going through this camera. I'll post those photos eventually.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve A said...

How long before you open up the Oklahoma "Cool Old Film Camera Hall of Fame?"

6:38 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

One of my co-workers said his father bought and sold cameras at shows, Steve, and one of his display units consisted of a set of shelves with 1/4-20 screws set into the undersides to hold cameras in place. I'm thinking about building one to display some of the old cameras here. But the ones I use frequently won't go on the shelf. That would include: Yashica Electro GT, Konica Auto S2, both Pentax MX cameras, Olympus XA2, and the Canonet. If I get these two Lynx cameras sorted out, they'll probably be in regular use too.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home