Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I had this dream, see....




I've reached the age that precludes those dreams of exotic women. And my nightmares generally revolve around zombies, werewolves, Russian paratroopers, and plumbing disasters. I come by the later honestly because Mary has had occasion to shake me awake in the middle of the night because water is streaming across a floor somewhere.

But this one was different. It involves simple greed. I was driving through Catoosa when I noticed a couple of bicycles on the sidewalk in front of a church. They caught my eye because the brake cables sprang directly from the tops of the levers, making a pair of graceful arcs toward their respective anchor points. It's one easy way to spot a vintage bike. Furthermore, they had distinctive contrasting paint panels typical of bikes from the seventies.

Inside the church were more bikes! They were having a rummage sale. There were Falcons, Raleighs, a Condor, and even a couple of Motobecanes!

But I stopped and stared in amazement at a pair of display cases stuffed with old cameras. There were the usual assortment of Brownies and box cameras, but I spotted a Pentax Spotmatic, a Praktica, and 4x5 Speed Graphic among other classics.

I just knew I'd need more money.

Someone started talking and my eyes creaked open. The clock radio said it was 4:20 - time to get up - and the BBC was doing a story on a plane crash. The dream evaporated, replaced by morning reality.

Phooey.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve A said...

And here I was waiting to see that you brought the Praktica "commie camera" home!

[cater]

7:41 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I've dreamed about finding a table full of cameras at the flea market, Steve. And I've had a recurring dream of finding an old Leica at a barn sale, with an antique Klein track bike, a Norton Manx, and behind some hay bales hidden under a dirty tarp, a Mercedes gull wing coupe.

Sometimes I dreams good!

9:05 PM  
Blogger lemmiwinks said...

A Manx Norton? Yummy! Though bump starting could be a problem with you knees Ed (but since we're dreaming, I suppose not).

4:20am is a truly inhumane time to get up, no wonder you dream of zombies. I'm fortunate in that I can get up at 6:30am to be at work by about 7:45am, including my 17ish (on a bad day) minute bicycle commute.

Best part? I'm home some time after 4pm :-)

3:08 PM  
Blogger lemmiwinks said...

A Manx Norton? Yummy! Though bump starting could be a problem with you knees Ed (but since we're dreaming, I suppose not).

4:20am is a truly inhumane time to get up, no wonder you dream of zombies. I'm fortunate in that I can get up at 6:30am to be at work by about 7:45am, including my 17ish (on a bad day) minute bicycle commute.

Best part? I'm home some time after 4pm :-)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Please remember that comment moderation is turned on as a means to prevent spammers from posting. That means I don't see comments until after work, and as I'm working overtime just now, I probably won't see them until evening.

I've become accustomed to the early hours, Lemmiwinks. In fact, when the weekend rolls around, I'm usually up and gone before sunrise. The morning is my time to have coffee with a friend, run errands, and take photos. It's actually pleasant.

6:48 PM  
Blogger lemmiwinks said...

Hey, no sweat Ed. I'm in a different hemisphere so I'm used to the delays :-)

I know what you mean about the early weekend mornings, it's a great time to get in and get some things done. My cycling club does a really nice Sunday morning ride. I'd like to join them on it again soon (but this whole kid rearing thing really takes it out of you!)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

When our kids were little I didn't ride a bike for years. Once they were big enough, however, they went with me in a kid seat, or later, on a half frame bike that was towed behind my own. My daughter was the only kid in her kindergarten class who rode to and from school. I did a daily TT to meet the kids at the door. Ah...the good old days!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home