Thursday, October 21, 2010

This is awful!



Yesterday, I received the results of last week's blood test from my annual physical. Let's see, the triglycerides were elevated. My bad cholesterol was too much and my good cholesterol too little. Actually, they've been about the same for the last ten years, but my doctor wasn't so concerned that he'd put me on medication. He recommended that perennial favorite - diet and exercise! It must be one of the first things they teach in doctor school. Too fat? Diet and exercise. Too tired? Diet and exercise. Flat feet? You get the idea.

Seriously, one of my biggest concerns was the occasional dizzy spell from the blood pressure meds I've been taking. He said my BP is fine, and actually a bit low, so he reduced the dosage and switched to one that doesn't have a diuretic. Dang! There's goes my second career as a fireman!

But wait. He did tell me to exercise, didn't he? So this afternoon I dragged the dusty Centurion out of the garage, pumped up the tires, and took off for a short ride with cobwebs fluttering from the spokes. And believe me, it was a short ride.

There's a flattish loop just up the hill. It's maybe a mile and a quarter around. I managed it once, just once, and cruised on home. That means I traveled less than 2 miles and I was hurting. Oh, the knee is fine. My quads were burning and I was breathing hard. I'm really out of shape!

Also, there was some....interference....between my butt and the Brooks saddle, partly due to wearing boxer shorts and partly due to my advanced case of monkey butt. But for every problem there's a solution, and in this case it's Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder. I've gotta get me some of that stuff, if only to leave it in plain sight on my toolbox.

Before plunging into regular bike commuting again, I'm going to work up some fitness by doing laps near the house. That way, if I do have problems, I'll be within limping distance of home.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

The Cycle Dog is out of shape? How can that be?

3:15 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Surely, you jest, Fritz! Let's review: laying tile for Mary hurt my left knee, and I re-injured it by attempting to lift (1) an outside air conditioner and (2) an upright washing machine with pedestal attached. My right knee has been the site of arthritis attacks, and they reduced me to hobbling around with a cane over the winter. Likewise with the right hip. Then there's the dizzy spells from the blood pressure meds.

Gosh, I'm starting to sound like one of the old guys nattering on about all his operations!

Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Steve A said...

Welcome aboard the medical treadmill. Your real problem is the combo of a Limey saddle with a Japanese bike. Tell ya what, I think I can source a genuinely Asian saddle for you that'll fix ya right up. I'm sure I can find some sucker with a Falcon for the Brooks.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

You know, I hadn't considered that combination of a Japanese bike and an English saddle, Steve. But what about the other bike, the Bianchi with another Brooks? Could I be doing permanent damage?

6:33 PM  
Blogger Steve A said...

Bianchi? Are men allowed to ride Bianchis?

8:49 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

I have TWO Bianchis, Steve! One is a 1996 San Remo with about 30,000 miles behind it. The other one carries a 45 on my hip.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home