Monday, October 11, 2010

City of Owasso photo contest

Photo contests are common ways to drum up interest in a small town. And in fairness, they're a fun way to take a creative look at those things we see everyday, hopefully putting them in a new light as we try to photograph them.

But here's the deal killer:

By submitting an image to the City of Owasso Photo Contest, the entrant grants the City of Owasso and the Owasso Chamber of Commerce a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable, and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, publish, prepare derivative works of, and display their entries in any and all media now known or hereafter developed (including, without limitation, print, broadcast, and internet), for all legitimate business purposes including advertising and promotional activities, including, but not limited to, connection to this contest. When possible, the City will make every effort to credit the photographer.

Essentially the photographer gives up all rights to his photo, but the city will make every effort to see the photographer's name is appended. Oh, the joy.

I don't make any money from photography. For that matter, I don't make any money from CycleDog either. But I'm not about to relinquish my rights to anything I've written or photographed. Making such a demand is petty and wrong-headed. The city gains a stock of good, usable images to be used in any way they see fit, without the expense of hiring a professional to do the work. That's a good deal - for them.

The Examiner had a similar contest last year. I declined to enter it as well for the very same reasons.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Except you're not giving up your rights to the photograph -- that's what the "non-exclusive" part means. You still own the photo and can do whatever you want with it, even though you've also granted Owasso a license to use the photo for whatever reason they want.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

You're correct, Fritz. I'd still have the right to use an image in any manner I choose, but it just irks me to realize that my work - essentially my property - can be re-sold without my consent or any form of compensation. Would any of us write a book and give it to a publisher who insisted on such terms?

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home