Friday, September 24, 2010

Hawaiian shirts


These are some detail photos from various Hawaiian shirts in my closet. Now, a purist (if there is such a thing) may not strictly consider all of them as Hawaiian shirts, but from my casual perspective, they fit because they're uniformly LOUD! The pattern above - tuna wearing sunglasses, is on the only cotton shirt, and it's from Colombia Sportswear.


Yes. Spongebob. According to my son, he's very educational. "Watch what Spongebob does, and then don't DO that!" he says.


Fish. Mary hates fish, but she bought this shirt for me. It must be love.


Flowers - big blue ones, on a shirt that wrinkles easily even though it's synthetic.


Mmmmm. Beer!


Flowers and motorcycles. Somehow, I don't think it would fit well in a biker bar.



More flowers.



My Hawaiian co-worker identified these once, but I can't remember what they're called.



Mmmmm. Spider man.



More big, loud flowers.

Our management recently sent out a memo advising us that the only acceptable shorts for use on the maintenance base are navy blue uniform shorts with or without the company logo. Many of us have been wearing cargo shorts because we can carry more in them, but they're no longer acceptable. The guys in the hangars wear what I call 'aviation chic" - T-shirt, baseball cap, work gloves, cargo shorts, and steel-toed boots, sometimes with knee protectors for working inside aircraft. But now we have to present a more 'professional' appearance. So I'm wearing blue uniform shorts with loud Hawaiian shirts. I truly look professional!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Bummer about the cargo shorts ban.

One of my college pals came from Honolulu -- he was kind of an Aloha shirt purist, but in a silly, ironic way.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

An ironic Hawaiian shirt? Would a hipster wear such a thing, or is it anti-ironic to wear one instead of a totally ironic t-shirt from a bin at the Goodwill store? The very thought of it gives me a headache.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Khal said...

Tori Richard rules...

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home