Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving morning

My usual workday starts at 4:30AM, but today I was able to sleep in until after the sun came up. What luxury!

As I write this, it's still early. The house is quiet. Mary and the kids are asleep. I'm in the living room, sipping at a cup of coffee. The cats insisted that I feed them immediately once I opened the bedroom door, and now that their bellies are full, it's romper room time. A toy mouse is taking a battering and a piece of purple ribbon seems to be a favorite at the moment. They can be awfully noisy.

I like quiet mornings like this one. It's a good time to write, and given the hectic cooking festival coming later today, it's a welcome respite, a calm before the inevitable storm breaks.

Holidays make me think of what my children have missed. Mary and I grew up with big, extended families that had enormous holiday dinners. Those of you of a certain age may remember a television commercial with the line, "Bring out the second turkey!" My family actually did that when we had nearly 20 people in the house for Thanksgiving.

Maybe my kids aren't missing out on being relegated to a card table in the living room at mealtime. It's just the four of us here, though our friend Wade will be joining us for dinner. He gets a turkey dinner by presenting She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed with a two liter bottle of Pepsi. He knows a good deal when he sees one.

It's traditional to reflect on those things we're thankful for on this holiday, and like most others, I'm most deeply thankful for my family and friends. My children are growing up and soon they'll be out on their own. I know there will be holidays that they won't be able to spend with Mary and me, so our tradition will be changing once again. That's painful to contemplate, but it's equally inevitable.

I'm also deeply grateful for those of you who read this. Every writer has an audience in mind, and I'm no different in that regard. It's humbling to realize that CycleDog has had some influence on other cyclists and their own writing. Along with that realization comes a responsibility to keep an open mind and pursue the best practices that provide real benefits to real cyclists.

It's almost 10AM now. I'm going to post this, make more coffee, and cook a big brunch. Chances are, the aroma of food will bring the kids out of bed. Pancakes should do it. Then I'll clear off the kitchen and get ready for the afternoon onslaught.

Again, my thanks to all of you reading this. If you're in the US, enjoy the holiday. But even if you're not in this country, remember this and cherish your family at that next big dinner. Ultimately, the only real treasure we have are those people around us who share our table and the joys and sorrows of our lives.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve A said...

Well thought and well put.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home