Saturday, January 03, 2009

Saturday Musette

From Urban Tulsa:

Urban Tulsa Weekly announced their Hot 100 for 2009, and Ren Barger made the list! Here's what UTW wrote:


Adrienne Barger, founder of Community Cycling Project. Most people think of bicycles as recreation instead of transportation. Seeing the opportunities to commute effectively in Tulsa, Barger began the Community Cycling Project, which provides bicycles and other equipment to those who need some wheels.


Some quibbles - first, Ren was not the founder of the Community Cycling Project which is an outreach effort backed by the Tulsa Wheelmen. Ren is continuing the work of Sandra Crisp and she's added an important new adjunct, the Tulsa HUB which will multiply the effectiveness of the CCP. Both these capable women are to be applauded for their efforts. The HUB is Tulsa's first bicycle co-op that I'm aware of, and it will be a central part of the area's cycling culture.



I look like a convict!

Not that it's a bad thing.

Ladies perspire. Dancers glow. Big guys like me just sweat, even in cold winter weather. I wear a skullcap or a watch cap most of the time. My hair has the consistency of straw as a result. I hate it. So when it comes time for a haircut, I really get a haircut!

Photo evidence:


I'd carefully tucked back the 'wings' that form in line with my ears. They give me that oh-so-hot Bozo the Clown look. My hair starts to curl when it's this long and I get a good DA going in the back. Is it any wonder I want it cut short?



This makes for efficient cooling summer or winter. And in fact, it feels cold at first so I wore a watch cap inside the house last night.

However, there's no denying that this is a cheap, effective way to gain better aerodynamics on the bike. I'm probably 5-6 mph faster after a haircut. I could probably get another 5 or 6 if I shaved my legs, but that ain't gonna happen.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger F.W. Adams said...

I think I've seen you before. A poster perhaps? In the post office perhaps? ;o) Shaved or not, happy new year!
---
www.singlespeedrevolution.com
Ride One or Ride None!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

You don't shave your legs, but that's because you've waxed them, right?

At one of those silly Christmas party gift exchanges, I got a hair removal kit.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home