Sunday, October 26, 2008

Let's be serious for a moment...

I'm figuring a way to end Wally's quest to be the next vice president of the United States. It's not resolved yet.

But the real campaign deserves your thoughtful consideration. I've decided on which candidate I'll support, and I'll even go so far as to endorse him in a moment. Before that, however, I urge you - regardless of your political affiliation - to go to the polls and cast your vote on November 4th. Your vote is your voice in our system of government. Lincoln said this is government of the people, by the people and for the people, so voting is our solemn responsibility.

There's a very real temptation to stay home if you're a minority party voter in a state like Oklahoma, where Senator McCain is expected to win all the electoral votes. I suspect the same temptation exists in other solidly blue states. Remember that there are other candidates down the ticket who need your support. They need your vote. It's not too late to get informed about those candidates. An excellent source for non-partisan local information is the League of Women Voters. Take the time to learn, and cast an informed vote.

Now, in Oklahoma, one of the other races is between incumbent Senator James Inhofe and state Senator Andrew Rice. Inhofe is favored by about 12 points over Rice, yet despite this advantage, Inhofe has been running overwhelmingly negative ads against his opponent. In my opinion, this almost looks as if he's fearful of a last minute surge in Rice's numbers. But from my point of view, Inhofe represents everything that's old and busted about the Republican party. It really is time for a change. I'll vote for Andrew Rice.

Change is the main theme of the Obama campaign. It's probably no surprise that I'll vote for him too. The Republicans have failed the American people on so many levels there isn't space to list them here. Barack Obama has a few positions I cannot agree with, but on balance, he's a better choice for the office than John McCain.

I don't do politics here on CycleDog. This is primarily about bicycling advocacy with a bit of comedy thrown in to keep readers coming back. So this is not an indication of a change in direction. I'll still do humor and cycling-related posts. But I am entirely serious about getting out the voters in this election as I said up at the top. You may not agree with me and that's OK. Regardless, get informed and vote. When you push aside all the fluff and nonsense like flag lapel pins, real patriotism stems from standing in line for the ballot box.

Vote November 4th!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

Blue state voting: Plenty of Republicans in California aren't too happy that their votes are wasted.

Are you a fan of Garrison Keillor at all? He was in Tulsa this last weekend; funny show. He pokes fun at all the Republicans in Oklahoma without getting nasty about it. My son and I laughed out loud at "Don't let big government tell you when to walk and don't walk; jaywalk for Jesus!"

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

The Tulsa World carried Keillor's column on Sunday, Fritz. And yes, I'm a fan. I borrowed a line from him. He says he has a face made for radio, and I've said I have a voice made for text.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, I often listened to Prairie Home Companion on Saturday afternoons. When Keillor talked about Lake Woebegone, I had to admit that I knew some of those people. He could have been describing almost any small, rural community.

Also, I seem to recall that the Republicans didn't much care when they had the upper hand. Democratic voters in red states were ignored or mocked. I don't extend any sympathy to those minority voters in your state.

4:54 PM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Gad. Jim Inhofe. He embarrassed me back when he was mayor of T-town.

Meanwhile, I now live in another state, and as I told the Obama supporter who called me, I may not prevail here, but I sure as hell wouldn't have back in Oklahoma-- which is too bad, because Bush et. al. sure never did anything for the old home state.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Ed W said...

The thing I really don't understand, Ms. Cornelius, is the anti-intellectual and anti-science sentiment expressed by so many here in Oklahoma, and epitomized by Gov. Palin. What's worse, is that they're defiantly proud of that attitude.

Personally, I want to see that the President of the United States is the smartest guy in the room. We've seen what happens when he's not.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home