Monday, September 22, 2008

Who you callin' legitimate?


I've decided to tear a page from the obviously successful Republican playbook. From now on, I will heed only those laws I agree with and find equitable. Therefore, I will no longer pay that portion of my federal taxes that supports tobacco subsidies. I will no longer pay that portion that goes to maintain the offices of both Oklahoma senators and most of it's congressional delegation. I refuse to pay gasoline taxes that go overwhelmingly to subsidize motor vehicles. The same reasoning applies to state and local taxes, from income tax to real estate and sales taxes, because I derive little benefit from them. Stop signs, red lights, speed limits and the like, no longer apply.

Hey, it worked for Karl Rove, Harriet Meyers, and Alaska's First Dude, what's-his-name Palin. They've ignored subpeonas and said that the investigations were politically motivated. As we all know, politically motivated investigations can be ignored because they're not legitimate. I wonder why Bill Clinton didn't try to invoke that one? And just today, I read that a federal court has ordered Dick Cheney's office to preserve all their papers. Wanna bet that Cheney shreds a bunch of it and tells the court to pound salt?

So I feel entirely justified in demanding that I be free to pick and choose amongst the laws governing this nation, just like our political elite. I may even issue some signing statements, but it could be a while until that gets done. For now, I refuse to recognize the legitimacy of these four walls and that locked cell door, and I believe our political 'betters' should have the same option.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger amidnightrider said...

Some of us have been doing that (in the words of the artist Prince), since 1999.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home