Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke


I was lucky enough to attend a lecture by Arthur C. Clarke when I was an undergraduate at Clarion State College (now Clarion University) in northwest Pennsylvania. It was the early 1970's and Clarion was developing a reputation for the science fiction writer's workshop held each summer.

As I recall, Clarke's lecture wasn't about science fiction. Instead, he talked about our own future. He told us of the exciting possibilities that would grow out of our existing technology. Remember, communications satellites were a relatively new innovation at that time. Clarke said that even the most remote village in Asia and Africa would be capable of receiving television via satellite in a few years, and those transmissions would deliver education and entertainment to people who were otherwise unreachable. He was right.

The other thing I remember from that lecture was Clarke's dedication to improving life in developing countries.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Coelecanth said...

To date he's the only hard sci-fi writer that's managed to make me cry. I got all misty at the end of Fountains of Paradise. I'm sad to hear he's gone and glad for the work he left us.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home