Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day (OT)



There's not a shred of cycling information in this post. I just want to tell you about Valentine's Day here in the Rancho CycleDog.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered chocolate covered strawberries from D's Sweet Designs here in Owasso. (There's a review of the shop coming up soon.) Mary wanted some champagne too, but I've been married to her long enough to realize that what she really wants is spumante. It's a sweeter Italian sparkling white wine. We had it at our wedding and it's now a Valentine's Day staple.

Meanwhile, one of the cats decided to hurl its dinner atop an old hardback copy of Beatrix Potter's "The Tale of Tom Kitten", a book Mary's dad had given to her as a child. When I was looking for another copy in Borders, I told the clerk the story and she said, "The Tale of Tom Kitten ruined by a cat - how ironic!" Indeed.

I wrote this in the book:

Your Dad gave you a copy of this book, and I'm certain he did so with overwhelming love in his heart. Love is always best when it's given freely and gladly, so it's my hope that someday you'll give this book to another small child, one that you love with the same depth and joy as your father loved you.


Lyndsay said that I'm good at writing romantic nonsense, but I never say it. I ordered a box of chocolate covered strawberries for her too.

She gave her brother a pink polo shirt. He looked a little dubious until I said, "A guy has to be secure in his masculinity to wear a pink shirt. Of course, it's a chick magnet."

The kid doesn't lack for self-confidence. He said, "I'm already a chick magnet, Dad. This will only add to it." He gets that from me.

Oddly enough, we had to make a second trip back to D's Sweet Designs. Mary had ordered something too! When we got home, she presented me with a big box of lemon squares. Lyndsay gave me a bag of coffee beans from Guatemala. Hmmmm....sugar AND caffeine?

They're out in the kitchen now, making steaks for dinner. And in an hour or so, son and daughter are leaving for the movies. Hmmmm....big dinner, coffee, lemon squares, and no kids? That can mean only one thing.

I'll fall asleep on the couch by 8 o'clock.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger amidnightrider said...

It's not pink, it's salmon.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

How sweet :-)

I took my honey to a romantic little hideaway with the best food either of us had eaten all year.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home