Sunday, December 16, 2007

I love this!

(Image from the Mahatma X Files - formerly The Left End of the Dial)

When I was a sophomore in high school, I read most of H.P. Lovecraft's work. This brought on some sleepless nights, believe me.

These days I don't read the horrors very often. But with the network writers on strike and the television programming execs shoving more and more 'reality' shows on the box, the public library is definitely a better alternative.

I picked up 3 novels yesterday after dropping off Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." I'll write about his novel later, but for now let's just say that a post-apocalypse story like this is a little disturbing on several levels.

Anyway, I have "The Rake" by William F. Buckley Jr., a blend of suspense and satire (according to the jacket, anyway) based on a story about politics. Then there's Joe Haldeman's "The Accidental Time Machine" that I started last night. Finally, there's "Dizzy City" a story of a WW1 deserter turned con man by Nicholas Griffin.

Why so many books? As I said above, television really has become a vast wasteland, but besides that, I work only 3 days this week, then I'm off on vacation until after New Years.

Maybe if I had another concussion, I could spend the vacation watching daytime television. No highs, no lows, just 'the zone'.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger brother yam said...

I'd given up on TV years ago. If you want to have a smart and funny read, I suggest that you take up a book by Terry Pratchett. His _Night Watch_ is a good one to start with.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

When I was younger and when I still had a car, I had a Miskatonic University sticker on the back window. Lovecraft was absolutely cool and it's always nice to learn about another fan.

Apparently, there's a computer game out there for the PC where you're Sherlock Holmes investigating a Lovecraftian cult... sounds like it could be fun.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home