Friday, October 20, 2006

Thursday's Road1 Class

 

We had another Road1 class on Thursday for Tulsa Public School PE teachers. Local bicycle shop employees attended also. The photo is one of the students performing the quick turn drill. That's Gary Parker watching her turn. Gary was our lead instructor for the day.

I remember Bob Chapelle, the LCI who taught our introductory Road1 class, remarking that teaching a group of experienced cyclists was so different from teaching novices. At the time, I thought he was exaggerating. But he was right. It is easier to teach experienced riders. For the most part, they're unafraid of attempting the maneuvers, though even a long-time cyclist may be intimidated by countersteering.

More on this later. I'm taking a vacation day today, and I have much to do. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

*applause* for instructors, helpers *and* participants.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Coelecanth said...

My partner is doing the Can-Bike instructors course today.

It's too wet to ride her lovely (fenderless) road bike. Her utility commuter is down while we wait for a new cog for the Nexus hub and she refuses to ride her mountain bike on the road. So...
She's doing the course on her sit-up-and-beg english three speed, complete with wicker basket and ribbon bedecked bars. I've really gotta marry that girl. :)

http://www.canadian-cycling.com/English/programs/canbike/canintro.htm

11:22 AM  
Blogger Ed W said...

Fossil Fish! Marry that girl. She sounds like a keeper. Take her on your honeymoon on a new tandem!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Coelecanth said...

Funny you should say that. I asked her last night and she said yes.

I put some balloons and a card on that same cruiser bike where it was locked outside her dance class. The card had a crossword where the answers were Meet, Me, Where, We, First, Met. The clue for "first" was "Possibly Floyd but certainly Lance". I road along the route she'd have to take and tied balloons to various street furniture. This was a just in case belt and suspenders kinda thing. It also gave me something to do while I waited besides ride in circles nervously.

The kicker: when we got home there was a message on the machine from the Can-Bike instructor and I quote that esteemed gentleman "It's offical you're sleeping next to a cycling goddess." Yes, indeed I am.

Tandem for the honeymoon! Excellent idea. I gotta find a bike store where we can register.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Paul Tay said...

Maybe BikerFox will teach us all the infamous FRONT flip.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home