Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Cyclist's best kept secret...


It's going to be warm here today, about 75F this afternoon.

It's bug season.

Soon there will be swarms of midges hovering over every water crossing in the morning. I'll try to hold my breath or at least breathe through my nose. My helmet and glasses will be covered with dead bugs when I arrive at work. That's much better than inhaling the little pests.

In the afternoon, there will be horse flies on the way home. I go by several pastures and I suspect the flies are waiting there to ambush any cyclist too slow to out run them. That's me. It's up hill, of course, and the horse flies are faster than I am. They land on my back and butt, slowly boring through my clothes and into my flesh. Let's just say they give me incentive to go faster.

But here's one of cycling's dirty little secrets - some bugs are quite tasty! Now, I can hardly qualify as a connoisseur of insect comestibles, but there are a few out there that have a nice tangy flavor, almost peppery. They're not bad, but I'm totally unaware of what kind of insect they are, and I'm not about to do taste testing to find out!

1 Comments:

Blogger Yokota Fritz said...

I can't say that I've actually ever tasted a bug. I take 'em like I take bad tasting medicine: quickly down the hatch!

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home